Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sister Day


By god, I think I've started a new tradition! Sister Day. The date: anytime your husband is out of town. The atmosphere: totally casual, comfy clothes, super easy food, but lots of it. No kids, (or at least send them upstairs and forbid them to come down.) This is the holiday I've created for just my sisters and me!
Of course, being me, I had to infuse art into the situation somehow so I put them all to work. I brought out my hefty supply of rubber stamps and we made these wonderful banners.
My sisters are all very creative in all different ways so I don't think it was a big stretch for them to send a little creative energy to the paper, and, indeed, they created some great artwork! My sister, Cari is a musician and singer of her own band The Black Rose Band. My sister Teresa is a very talented writer and equestrian chic, and also likes to make stuff with polymer clay. And my sister Tomoko makes jewelry, draws, is a superb cook, and all around creative soul. I have one more sister who couldn't make it to Sister Day.
There is nothing quite as fun and relaxing as just talking with my girls without worrying about anything else. Eating without guilt for one day, going on garden tours in my backyard. We even stayed up and watched a great sister flick, Practical Magic (Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman).
All around a fun day, fun art, and a great retreat from our stressed out lives. I'm sure we will make Sister Day an annual thing, or maybe monthly!! ha. Who knows!


6 comments:

ks owens said...

The string of flags is beautiful - I have been thinking of making some for ages - now i just need to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!! I have three very good friends who are like sisters to me and we have great fun together :-))

amy said...

I love your flags! I will have to finally make some other than the Spring ones I made 3 years ago. :( Maybe some Halloween ones. I like sister day too great idea.

Gina said...

Thanks! These are so fun and not intimidating to people who are not artists. Also there are so many ways to make them a "themed" project. Would love to see yours when you do them!
Gina

Elizabeth Golden said...

Love the banners you made with your sisters!

teri said...

I love these banners! Did you follow any particular instructions to make them? I'd like to try.

Gina said...

Hi Teri ! No special instructions. just cut out triangle shapes that have a 'tab' that can be folded over a ribbon. OR if the back and the front will show then make a big diamond that is then folded in half (into a triangle shape) encasing the ribbon inside. Aside from that , no rules, just stamping, inking, more stamping, a little paint, etc.