Sunday, April 7, 2013

I've been dyeing!!

Hello all, 
This week I taught a fun class at the store I work at. It's a form of Shibori called Itajime. Basically a form of tie dye but with Itajime you use clamps to resist the dyes instead of rubberbands or string ties.
 This one above is just a test but I LOVED it. I used Tim Holtz distress stains to color after folding it. Hey, Tim, what do ye think?
The ones below were done in class and we just used food coloring as our dye! These are mine but the students work was fabulouso!

 I sort of invented my own folding design here. I'm not generally a geometric, straight line kind of person so I folded this one in a very crooked, helter skelter accordian. Fun.

Here are some more smaller test designs. I can see how these can become a beautiful art form with lots of practice. For me, I love the experimental, happy mistakes the best!


No comments: